Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Setting Up My First Grade Classroom

I am so excited for school to begin in just a few weeks!  As a first year teacher, I feel as though I still have quite a bit of work ahead of me before the students arrive.  I have already spent many, many hours setting up my first grade classroom.  This has definitely been a labor of love and I have enjoyed every minute of printing, laminating, cutting, and taping that I have done.  I am pleased with my progress thus far, even though I still have a few more things on my checklist.  Here are a few pictures from my classroom as it is currently.  Once the class lists are given, the room will have more personalized touches, of course.  I will continue to add more pictures to the blog as I get the room more set up.  Hope you enjoy the tour!       

Technology Center
Students will practice computer skills such as typing and navigating Internet websites during their time at the technology center.  I used contact paper to jazz up the old file cabinets beside of the computer station.  A long time ago, teachers were allowed to paint school property, but now we are not... so I am stuck with blue and yellow file cabinets.  A special thanks to my Mom who created the bulletin board behind the computers! :) 
Calendar Area
Yes, that is a zebra print rug you see!  I wanted to make the calendar area inviting and fun for students by using bright colors and interesting patterns.  There are many different features on the calendar bulletin board.  Students practice math skills such as counting numbers 1-100, place value, telling time, identifying and counting money, and addition facts.  We also discuss the weather, temperature, and seasons during calendar each day.       

My polka dotted desk and the back of the room
On my desk, I have both a pink "Tattle Can" and a "Kiss Your Brain" Jar.  The "Tattle Can" is available for students to write down a conflict they have with another student, if A) the situation is not dangerous, or B) they cannot resolve the problem using nice words and/or actions on their own.  The idea is to minimize the amount of tattling and disruption resulting from the tattling in the class.  Examples of tattling are: "he fronted me" or "she took my highlighter."  I will address any notes in the Tattle Can at a time when it is not going to disrupt student learning.  The "Kiss Your Brain" jar will be filled with Hershey Kisses as a treat for students that are working really hard.  
Word Wall and Guided Reading Table
The Word Wall will be filled gradually with high frequency words from both kindergarten and first grade that students should be able to quickly identify when reading.  We will cover different lists of high frequency words each week, which the students will practice using in context as well as spelling accurately.  The word wall serves as an resource for students during reading and also during Writer's Workshop.  Guided Reading is a very important part of the day when I get to spend 10-15 minutes with a small group of homogeneously grouped readers.  We will work on decoding and reading comprehension strategies as a group each day using leveled texts.     

No comments:

Post a Comment