Sunday, October 23, 2011

Leaf Man

Hi!

This past week in first grade the kiddos did a really cute writing acitvity after I read the story Leaf Man by Lois Elhert.  It is one of my all time favorite Fall themed books because it is beautifully written and the illustrations are gorgeous (photos of real leaves are used to create the pictures).  Lois Elhert never disappoints with her children's literature.  The gist of the story is that a "leaf man" is being blown all sorts of places and is seeing all sorts of different things along the way... 
                                      
                                           "a Leaf Man's got to go where the wind blows" 

After we finished enjoying the lovely story, I had the children to create original stories either from the point of view of the leaf man or as if they were a leaf person.  They came up with some really awesome ideas!  I encouraged them to be creative about what places the leaf person might go and whats sorts of interesting things he/she might see along the way.  Many of them even went so far as to describe what their leaf person looked like.  They did a great job!  Below is a sample of one of my kiddo's work. 

My Leaf Man is going to the pond.  He will see ducks and alligators.  My Leaf Man will see the park.  He will trees, people, and grass.  My Leaf Man is going to the zoo.  He will see monkeys, a gorilla, and an elelphant.
(translated my me)
 This week we get to explore and learn about pumpkins!  I can't wait :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment