Monday, October 17, 2011

Monday Morning

Hello to all!

I apologize for being so remiss about posting new blogs!  Last week was incredibly hectic for many teachers.  We have new 6-week grading periods and so last week I had to create and distribute report cards as well as conduct the first round of parent-teacher conferences.  I have also been battling some kind of awful crud that just did not want to go away!  I lost my voice one day and had to call in a sub for the kiddos.  Thankfully, I think I am much, much better now.  I am ready to start a brand new week!

Last week in conjunction to our reading selection "Animal Park," we explored the continent of Africa and learned a lot more about the animals that live in the different habitats that it offers.  We read a super cute book called The Hungry Elephant to get the students to think about what kinds of food elephants eat in the wild.  We also had a great discussion on the difference between carnivores, herbivores, and omnivores.  I am impressed at how well some of my superstars picked up the difficult vocabulary!

Hungry_Elephant.jpg
 
    The students have also been doing lots of fun things with pattern blocks.  They have been exploring all of the different shapes and the different combinations of shapes they can use to fill in outlines.  I remember this was one of my favorite activities when I was in school, and I can see that they are having a blast also.

    Today I am excited because my mother is driving all the way from Greensboro to volunteer in my classroom all day!  It will be so nice to have another set of eyes, ears, and hands in my room!  It should be a really fun day!  

Well I need to finish getting ready for school!  I hope everyone has a great day!

xoxo  Mrs. Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment