Saturday, October 1, 2011

Happy Birthday, Johnny Appleseed!

     Monday, September 26th was Johnny Appleseed's 237th birthday!  My class celebrated Johnny Appleseed by learning all about apples this week.  On Friday we had an "Apple Fun" Party where we graphed the different types of apples the children brought, used our fives senses to describe various types of apples, and we even made our own homemade applesauce using my slow-cooker.  At the end of the day we sampled various apple products including apple cider, apple pie, apple butter, and of course our apple sauce.  One of my students said that I needed to be on a cooking show, which made me laugh.  Our desks and fingers got a little sticky with all of those sweet treats, but all in all it was a great success!

johnnyappleseed.jpg applesauce.jpg







     It was not just about eating tasty food though, we learned lots about Johnny Appleseed's life as well as about how apples grow throughout the different seasons.  During our math we played "Apple Pie Addition" using a dot cube and green/red "apples" (linking cubes).  We also practiced weighing different colored apples using bear counters.

     I think one of students' favorite things was when I read the story called "The Little Red House."  The abbreviated story goes like this... there was once a little boy who asked his mother for something to do because he was bored.  The mother sends him to solve the mystery of a little red house with no doors, no windows, and a star inside.  He asks a little girl, a farmer, and a granny about it without any luck.  Finally the wind points him to an apple tree.  He brings the apple home because it is red without any windows and doors, but he does not know how to find the star.  His mother then shows him how to find the star by cutting it in half.  I demonstrated how to cut an apple to find the star and the kids just "oooh'd and ahh'd."


star-apple.jpg


It's hard to believe that we are already into the month of October!  The weather is becoming cooler and the leaves are changing colors.  It's one of my favorite times of the year.  It also means that our first six week grading period is quickly coming to a close... and that parent-teacher conferences and report cards are right around the corner.  I still have lots and lots to do before I am ready for all of that.  I better get busy!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Love,
Mrs. Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment